Planning Your STEP Visit
1. Request a Field Study
Offerings, program descriptions, and reservation request forms can be found at http://rpsec.edu/step/. Please be sure to adhere to the deadline found on the registration form. Requests received after the deadline will be placed on a waiting list.
2. Confirm Your Field Study
All scheduling for the upcoming school year is done in the summer. Once your trip has been scheduled, you will receive a confirmation contract letter. Confirmation contract letters MUST be signed and returned to RPSEC by the date specified to avoid cancellation.
3. Rescheduling a Visit
It is highly unlikely that we will be able reschedule a visit unless another school cancels.
We must receive written notification of cancellation at least FOUR weeks in advance of reserved date or a $25.00 cancellation fee PER PROGRAM will be assessed.
5. Program Request Guidelines
- Silver Bluff Audubon Center can accommodate up to 80 students K5 – Grade 12 per day.
- Savannah River Site can accommodate up to 60 students Grades 3 – 12 per day. Some paperwork will be required for adult chaperones to SRS. A list of student names will also be required. Taylor Rice, Education Outreach Coordinator, will send all pertinent information required approximately a month prior to the field study at SRS.
- We recommend that one teacher make a reservation for an entire grade level.
- A normal field study day at Silver Bluff Audubon will begin at 9:15 and end at 1:00. Adjustments can be made upon arrival as necessary.
- A normal field study day at Savannah River Site will begin at the badging office at 8:30 if possible, and the field study day will then begin at 9:15 and end at 1:15. Adjustments can be made upon arrival as necessary.
There are picnic tables at both locations for the students and adults. Neither site has food, drinks, or microwaves available.
- Adult chaperones are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- Adult chaperones are asked to help monitor the students at all times.
- To limit distractions, children that are not in the class attending the field study should not accompany chaperones.
- All chaperones should turn off cell phones during programming.
8. Student Program Fees
- Silver Bluff Audubon Center - $4.00 per student per day.
- No cost at Silver bluff Audubon Center for teachers or chaperones.
- Savannah River Site – no cost for students, teachers, or chaperones.
9. Academic Standards
All STEP Field Studies are aligned with South Carolina academic standards. Most programs consist of a lab study, field study, and eco-hike during which students are actively engaged in hands-on, inquiry-based learning. South Carolina standards correlations and some pre- and post- activities can be found on our website: http://rpsec.edu/step/.
10. Contact Information
Ruth Patrick Science Education Center University of South Carolina Aiken, 471 University Parkway Telephone: 803-641-3313 Fax: 803-641-3615 E-mail: RPSEC@usca.edu