June 20 to 22, 2017
The purpose of this institute is to promote nuclear education and workforce development in the southeast. Middle and high school teachers from Georgia, South Carolina and other states with interest in nuclear technology applications and promoting student interest in STEM related careers are invited to attend.
The Institute will include a tour of the Vogtle nuclear energy facility in Burke County, GA including control room visits, simulator exercises, meetings with nuclear power reactor personnel, etc. The Institute will also include a tour of the Savannah River Site (SRS) near Aiken, SC including radioactive waste management facilities and the Savannah River National Laboratory. In addition, a visit to Augusta University will be included along with an overview of nuclear medicine facilities and procedures.
The Institute will feature several workshops to emphasize atomic and nuclear fundamentals, power generation fundamentals, nuclear technology applications, risk (real vs. perceived), and nuclear workforce opportunities with hands-on activities to illustrate important technical concepts and scientific principles.
The SSNI will have the following benefits:
- Broader knowledge and understanding of the pros and cons of various energy sources.
- Opportunities for middle and high school students to pursue STEM related careers.
- Future nuclear workforce development including engineering, technical support, skilled labor, etc.
- Good public relations for the nuclear industry.
- Support for southern nuclear utilities in selecting nuclear power for future energy needs.
When and Where
- June 20 to 22, 2017
- USC Aiken
- Plant Vogtle
- Savannah River Site
- Augusta University
- • American Nuclear Society – Savannah River
- • AREVA
- • Citizens for Nuclear Technology Awareness
- • Aithen
- • Georgia Power Co./Plant Vogtle
- • Ruth Patrick Science Education Center
- • SRS Community Reuse Organization
- • SUNRISE Universities
- • USC Aiken
- • SCE&G
- • Aiken Rotary
The following will be provided through the workshop:
Registration Deadline: May 15, 2017
Registration is limited to 30 middle and high school teachers in order of receipt. A registration fee of $50 along with completed registration form must be postmarked by May 15th, 2017 to be eligible. Questions should be e-mailed to: SSNI1515@gmail.com.
URL = http://rpsec.usca.edu/Workshops/CNTA/SSNI2017.html (November 2016)