Gary J. Senn, PhD - Associate Professor, Director:
At the University of South Carolina
- Ph.D. Science Education, Biology. August,
1992, Florida Institute of
Technology, Melbourne, FL. Dissertation: The effects of
hypermapping and embedded cognitive strategies on student
achievement and the completion rate of a hypermedia
- Ed.S. Science Education, Biology. June, 1992, Florida
Institute of Technology, Melbourne, FL
- M.S. Educational Leadership, Secondary School
Administration. August, 1991, Florida Institute of
Technology, Melbourne, FL
- M.S. Science Education, Computer Science.
December, 1984, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne,
- B.S. Marine Biology. June, 1982, Florida
Institute of Technology, Melbourne, FL
- 2004 - Present: Director of the Ruth
Patrick Science Education Center.
- 2008 - Present: Director of the South Carolina Center of Excellence in Middle-level Interdisciplinary Strategies for Teaching (CE-MIST).
- 2002 - Present: Faculty at the University of South Carolina Aiken. 2008 – present, Associate Professor; 2002 – 2008, Assistant Professor
- 1997 - Present: Director of the South Carolina Center of Excellence in Educational Technology (CEET).
- 1996 - Present: Director of the
- 1992 - 2002: Technologies Director, Ruth
Patrick Science Education Center.
- 1990 - 1992: Program Director, East Central
Florida Center of Excellence in Science, Mathematics, Computers
- 1985 - 1992: Adjunct Faculty, Florida
Institute of Technology, Melbourne. Courses Taught: Materials and
Methods for Teaching Secondary Science, Microcomputers in
Education, Educational Statistics, The Ecology of Florida and The
Great Smoky Mountains.
- 1984 - 1990: Secondary School Teacher,
Brevard Co. Florida. Courses Taught: Earth Science, Life Science,
Oceanography, Physical Science, Science Research.
- 1980 - 1983: Naturalist, Patrolman, Chatfield
Hollow State Park, Killingworth CT (summers). Environmental
Education Programs, Law enforcement.
- Senn, G. J., McMurtrie D. H., & Coleman, B. K. (2013). RAFTing with raptors: Connecting science, English language arts, and the Common Core State Standards. Middle School Journal, 44(3), 52-55.
- Senn, G. J., & Smyth J. C. (2012, October). Using GPS and geocaching in a hi-tech adventure. Presented at the EdTech 2012 conference, Greenville, SC.
- Luedeman, J. K. & Senn, G. J. (2011). Center of excellence in middle-level, interdisciplinary strategies for teaching (CE-MIST). In D. F. Berlin & A. L. White (Eds.), Science and Mathematics Education: International innovations, research, and practices (pp. 217-224). Columbus, OH: International Consortium For Research in Science and Mathematics Education.
- Senn, G. J., Coleman, B. K., & McMurtrie D. H. (2010). Using an interdisciplinary “trunk” to facilitate interdisciplinary planning among teachers. South Carolina Middle School Association Journal, 71-80.
- Senn, G. J., & Smyth J. C. (2009, October). Breathing a Second Life into graduate courses. Presented at the Ed Tech 2009 conference, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J. (2008). Comparison of face-to-face and hybrid delivery of a course that requires technology skills development. Journal of Information Technology Education 7, 267-283. http://jite.org/documents/Vol7/JITEv7p267-283Senn309.pdf (PDF = 340KB)
- Senn, G. J., & Smyth, T. J. C. (2007, April). Transitioning traditional, face-to-face, technology classes to online format. Presented at the 18th annual International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, Jacksonville, FL.
- Senn, G. J. (2006, November 18). Pluto’s Planetary Plight. Presented at the meeting of the Augusta Rotary Club, Augusta, GA.
- Senn, G. J. (2005). "Who is in charge of the education of children?" In J. Hargis, An active guide to education. (pp. 164-165). Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt.
- Senn, G. J. & Smyth T. J. C. (2004). Flash Animations in science education. Presented at the EdTech ‘04 Conference – Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J. (2003). Planetarium Obscura- A camera obscura in a
planetarium. Journal of the SouthEastern Planetarium Association, 23(1),
- Senn, G. J. (2002) Incorporating digital video creation into the
classroom. Presented at the 13th annual International Conference on College
Teaching and Learning; Jacksonville, FL.
- Senn, G. J. & Smyth T. J. C. (2001). Innovations in
Web-Based Instruction. Presented at the Teaching and Learning Through
the Internet 2001 National conference, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J. (2000). Design and implementation of planetarium
shelving for use in conjunction with a camera obscura. Presented at the
annual meeting of the South Carolina Organization of Planetarians and Educators.
- Senn, G. J., Hutchens, J. M. & Smyth T. J. C. (1999). Itching
to get Information from the Internet. Presented at the EdTech '99 Conference
- Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J. & Gurr, H. S. (1998). The Planetarium
Obscura. Presented at the Southeastern Planetarium Association Conference
- Roanoke, VA.
- Senn, G. J. & Smyth, T. J. C. (1997). Web-based database
interaction: Setting up and maintaining a database on the web. Presented
at the Higher Education Networking Association Conference - Myrtle Beach,
- Senn, G. J. & Horton, P. B. (1996). The effects of hypermapping
and embedded prompts on biology achievement and the completion rate of hypermedia
courseware. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching,
- Senn, G. J. & Smyth T. J. C. (1995) Using a LAN
and the WWW to Enhance Undergraduate and Graduate Instruction. Presented
at the annual meeting of the Higher Education Networking Association, Myrtle
- Senn, G. J. (1994). Multimedia Development Using Media
Max. Presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Applied
Interactive Multimedia, Charleston, SC.
- Senn, G. J. & Priest, J.M. (1993). Computer Technology
For Elementary And Middle Schools. Presented at the National Educational
Computing Conference - Orlando, FL.
- Horton, P. B., Senn, G. J., et al. (1993). An Investigation of the effectiveness of
concept mapping as an instructional tool. Science Education,
- Senn, G. J. (1992). The Ecology and Culture of the
Great Smoky Mountains [Computer program].
- Senn, G. J., & Horton, P. B. (1987). The effect
of graded homework on student achievement in college general chemistry.
Presented at the annual meeting of the National Science Teachers Association
- Miami, FL.
Acted as Principal Investigator or Co-principal Investigator for
12 grants totaling over $3,500,000 since 1992.
Acted as consultant, and key personnel on 14 grants totaling over
$500,000 from 1984-1992.
Conducted over 150 workshops or inservices for K-12 teachers and
students. Topics covered: natural sciences and computer
Association for Applied Interactive Multimedia
Association of Small Computer Users in Education
Carolina Association of Planetarium Educators
Digistar Users Group
Florida Association of Science Teachers
Higher Education Network Association
National Association for Research in Science Teaching
National Educational Computing Association
National Science Teachers Association
South Carolina Association for Educational Technology
South Eastern Planetarium Association
Virtual Tour of Gary
Courses: ET 703, ET 731, ET 746, AEDU 635M, AELE 615, BIO 772D
Copyright © 2010 by the Board of Trustees of the University
of South Carolina.
Ruth Patrick Science Education
Center of Excellence in Educational
University of South Carolina
471 University Parkway
Aiken, SC 29801