Students you are brave and you have passed the first reading comprehension test. Again, this page is Mr. Castle's internet assignment for the Algebra I and II students at Fulmer Middle School. Students continue by selecting the first assignment and proceed by following the directions. After analyzing the constant cost per minute graphs answer the following questions on note book paper. Repeat this process for the second assignment. These assignments will be collected for a class grade. Good luck and feel free to work together. The following questions were developed using the National Counsel of Teaching Mathematics electronics examples website (NCTM).
After analyzing the constant cost per minute graph answer the following questions.
1) Why is the line in the first graph horizontal?
2) Give the coordinates of any point on both of the graphs. Make sure you include the units of measure within your answer.
3) Explain the differences between the two graphs.
4) Why does changing the y-intercept within the first graph affect the slope of the line in the second graph?
5) What is the slope in the second graph? Explain what it represents in this context.
After analyzing the changing cost per minute graph answer the following questions.
1) What is the relationship between the two graphs?
2) Why are the segments on the first graph horizontal?
3) Why does changing the height of the horizontal segments on the first graph affect the slope of the line segments in the second graph?
4) How can you determine the slope of the line in the second graph?
5) Why is the y-intercept zero in the second graph?
6) Why is the left part of the total cost function steeper than the right?
7) Can you make the right part steeper than the left?
Need assistance try clicking on
Related Algebra Links.
Go back to the title page.
http://rpsec.usca.sc.edu/Classwork/731sp2002/Lesson/Castle/ sec2lesson.html (January, 2002)
"The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of the University of South Carolina"